Friday, April 12, 2013

Shall We Celebrate? Let's Drink Crown and Coke, you Losers

All right. So now that I've cleared that up, let's get on with it, shall we?

It's the week between Christmas and New Year, 2010, and I am actually, still pregnant, and still surprised about it. B (my best frand in the world) was having a New Year's party - and I knew I wouldn't be able to hide it from her. 

I tried anyway. 

I tried to use D as my beard. We both got Sonic cups and I BEGGED him to put a little Crown in his - so I could play the Sober Chauffeur (funny, pulling out an old Soybean City trick circa 2002). He wouldn't! He full wouldn't. What a jerk. Sooo, we both walk in, with our Sonic cups. Of soda. 

She immediately takes the drink from my hand, and takes a sip - gives me a look, and gives me a hug. How did she know? She knew we had no plans, how did she know? She knew because she's my best frand and she lurves me. I lurve her, too.

Anyway, as I'm sure you can imagine, this was the most boring party I've ever been to. A bunch of drunky drunks playing tip-cup and playing the guitar. We left as soon as it was acceptable. That'd be 12:10.

She and I didn't talk about it again until I was well into my second trimester. She knew I was scared. She knew I was out of my mind terrified It would happen again. 

There was one person I couldn't stop from telling, it was my cube-mate and work-best-friend, RJ. (Do you put people in compartments like I do? Like a work-best-friend, a best-best-friend, a best-friend from high school, a best-friend from college? .....Non?) I broke down and told her, because well, around 10-ish weeks, I was starting to get a little optimistic. That MAYBE, this was actually happening - that it might end up like pregnancies are SUPPOSED to end up. You know, with a baby? RJ was so pumped, and I've got to tell you, she was there for me like few others were. 

Did I mention that D got me a "Congratulations You're Out of the First Trimester" gift? It was a Vera Bradley diaper bag. He's a dolly. Did I mention it was also from eBay? Thoughtful AND thrifty. I like him. 

He and I decided to start telling our family around the end of February. Why? So we could buy a cheesy "Happy Birthday, Grandpa" card for my Dad, and put a picture of the ultrasound in it. It was kind of awkward, really. Dad and Mom were sitting together on the sofa as he opened his card. Mom "got it" right away and began to cry. Dad said, (ready?) "Is this old?" Yes, Dad. I'm giving you a picture of the baby I'm no longer carrying. As a birthday present. Happy birthday. -_-  Once we got him up to speed, there was joy, tears, happiness and what-have-you. As first time grandparents being told for the second time - they were way more excited than I anticipated.

D's parents (old pros at these things by now - this would be their tenth grandchild) accepted the news with a smile and a nod. I've got nothing witty to say. A good lesson I learned long ago is that if I haven't anything nice to say, I'll sit next to my girlfriends and whisper about it instead. 

Food baby? No! That's Lil' Francis! And my crazy-short hair. I won't ever show you what it looked like before, I swear it.
Don't worry, I'm aware that this photo says 19 weeks. Whatev. I look full terrible in the 20 week photo. You'll never see that, either. Do you like my mantel scape?

Last but not least, we went "Facebook official" an awkwardly late twenty weeks. Why so late? Because I was still terrified. To tell the Facebook world is to tell everyone. And to un-tell everyone? So hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment